1. You amaze me. With every new post. I feel like I’ve watched you through some of your journey, but I e always known you to be strong and able, an advocate for yourself and those you love.

Pssst… When you get a moment hyperlink those bolded sections to other posts you’ve authored. I’ll bet people would love to read about each topic. Smooches!

August 5, 2013
    • It feels like a lifetime ago, when I wasn’t strong and capable. But Brave Lisha was always in there, just waiting to find her way out. And I think the journey brought us here, to this WordPress world where our paths would cross so we could become real life friends. Aaah. The serendipity!

And guess what? I’m sipping Ginger Ale right now. ;-)

August 7, 2013
    • Why, thank you, ma’am for those kind words. :-) Your opinion means a great deal to me, Charleene.

August 7, 2013

Inspirational post. Gave me chills.

August 6, 2013
    • Thank you, rachelynne. I hope you come back and visit again.

P.S. I loved your post about wearing the red Star Trek costume! Many, many years ago Mr. Wonderful and I (and a couple friends) costumed as the Enterprise crew for Mardi Gras. But we wore blue!

• said:

That was very smart of you!! I’ll certainly be back for some more of your posts =)

3. mamarific said:

Wow, I had no idea they give army wives a handbook on how to behave! I like hearing the evolution of how you found your voice. You sound like a strong lady to me :)

August 6, 2013
    • Yes! What Mamarific said! I had no idea there was such a thing as “Mrs. Lieutenant” the book. That’s fascinating! And I’m so glad you embraced your strength. Hang in there!

August 7, 2013
      • The book is part of a series written as “unofficial” etiquette guides for military spouses. There was Mrs. NCO, Mrs. Lieutenant, and Mrs. Field Grade. And although “unofficial,” it was the battalion commander’s wife who gave it to me. Fortunately for today’s Army Wives, the book is now out of print. :-)

Thanks for stopping by

August 7, 2013
    • Mamarific, they say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I think I could bench press a Toyota these days. :-)

August 7, 2013

Glad you have found your voice. Here’s to bravery!

August 6, 2013
    • And now I seem to be making up for lost time! I’m sure there are times when Mr. Wonderful misses the old “quiet” me. :-) Thanks for stopping by!

August 7, 2013
  5. Then, you became a writer and inspired me to become a better woman.

August 6, 2013
    • TMom, how do you always know the exact thing to say to make me feel so good?? Huh?? It’s like we’re sisters, who were separated at birth. I <3 you so much.

6. Anonymous said:

That is so encouraging – I can totally relate. That was me, too. I still get paralyzed at times, but the turning point for me was having my son educationally diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder – I knew that I could no longer avoid confrontations if I knew he needed something. As I learned to advocate for him, I then learned to advocate for myself, too. And hearing your story gives me hope that I can keep on getting better. Thanks so much!

August 7, 2013
    • Well, I left out the part about “Then my son was diagnosed with multiple learning disabilities, and I had to be advocate for him.” That happened after all the other stuff, and my voice was fairly present already. But being the voice for someone who can’t speak for themselves is enough on its own to make one find their strength. You will keep growing stronger, both for him and for yourself.

I’d love to hear more about your journey with your son. Feel free to share!

August 7, 2013

This really does show that when life throws everything it’s got at you, you either fight back or roll over. I’m so glad you chose to stand up and fight. Good job!

August 7, 2013
    • Back then I truly didn’t know I had it in me. But I’m so glad I found it. Thanks for stopping by!

August 7, 2013

You must be strong to endure so much, and I suspect your strength gave you confidence to speak your mind. Your post put a lot of things in perspective for me. Thanks.

August 7, 2013
    • Aaah. Perspective. Perhaps my favorite word in the English language. It really is all about perspective, isn’t it? I could go on and on… or you could read a couple of my posts. They’re full of lessons about perspective. Thanks for visiting, dorothyadele.

August 8, 2013
    • From a song in my favorite musical, “‘Cause each step’s indispensable, When you’re on the right track.”

Those are the things that lead me here, so I’m not sorry for them at all. Because here is a pretty good place, and you’re here and our paths would never had crossed.

August 8, 2013

I felt like I was right in step with you the whole way- right down to hiding behind another person because I can’t voice exactly what I’m feeling. Good for you for being able to slog through the hard times and meet it all with self-determination.

August 8, 2013
    • Thank you, Brie! There are a lot of us in this little club. It still doesn’t come easy, and I’m fairly anxious still, but I’m speaking up more and more every day.

And I’m glad your interview went well. Thank goodness for cell phones that let you call and announce your late arrival. :-)

August 8, 2013

The more you say ‘yes’, the harder it becomes to say ‘no’, until you’re taken for granted. It might take something cataclysmic to shake us out of that, but it’s *not* selfishness to think of yourself – it makes you stronger in the end!

Inspirational post!

August 8, 2013
    • Thank you for the kind words. :-) I’m a firm believer in extracting the lessons in life — and sharing them!

August 8, 2013

Glad you have changed and can now speak up for yourself. I’m sorry for what you had to go through to get to that point, though.

August 8, 2013
    • Those are the things that life is made of. I just happened to have them happen in a short period of time, so the effects were probably intensified. And if I hadn’t been on that path, I wouldn’t be at this destination. So for it, I’m grateful, because I’m in a really good place!

August 8, 2013
  12. It sounds like you’ve had a challenging journey – I’m so glad you found your voice. I hope all is well with your health.

Sending good thoughts.

Karen

August 8, 2013
    • I don’t think of it as a challenging journey, just MY journey. Uniquely mine. And I’m healthy and strong and taking better care of myself than ever. Thanks for visiting, Karen!

August 8, 2013
    • Thanks, Andrea. I feel like I’m in a pretty incredible place, so the journey was worth it.

August 16, 2013
  13. I’m grateful for the journey to bravery, and that some of us actually reach the destination! There are others out there who never do, who never learn that it’s okay not to be everything to everybody and perfectly so all the time. Some people never learn that it’s okay to say “no” or even “no way!”. I have had the same journey, and it took my daughter spiraling out of control in the world of anxiety to completely make me halt and focus harder than ever before keeping things simple. I think you are awesome, Lisha, and once again, I appreciate all of your sincere honesty! XOXO-Kasey

August 8, 2013
    • Kasey, your kind words always make my heart smile. Without a doubt, the source of greatest strength has been learning to advocate for my kids. I look at the single working moms of the world and say what folks here are saying to me: How do you do it?? :-)

August 16, 2013
    • Dyanne, if I can find it, you can, too. I’ve been thinking about a message lately. We all know what we need to do, but the trick is hearing the message when we’re ready to do it. Or when we have no choice. Hmmm. You may have just inspired a new essay. :-)

August 16, 2013
  14. Sometimes it does seem like the most challenging times serve to make ourselves stronger. I’ve never had quite the combination of challenges that you have, but I have had months (or years) when things didn’t seem to go as planned, and part of me wanted to cry out, “Why me??” Ultimately, it’s hard to regret how much we learn from life’s difficulties.

August 13, 2013
    • My father taught me a beautiful lesson when I was a young woman. After his cancer diagnosis, he told me he just couldn’t ask “Why?”. Because when blessings were being heaped upon him he never asked. So it was unfair of him to ask when things were dark. My blessings certainly exceed my worthiness, so when the challenges come, I’ve learned to face them with resolve. Thanks for visiting, School of Smock.

August 16, 2013

I am reading this right now because I have to tell my boss that my work schedule HAS to change because of a childcare situation I can’t control. I am terrified. I won’t be working less, just different days, and I am petrified. I love your post because it’s giving me hope.

August 28, 2013
    • Oh, outlawmama, find your brave. You’ll never regret doing so when it comes to your kids. I’ve reinvented myself several times for them, and each time we have become a stronger family for having done so. I’ll be anxious to hear how it goes. :-)

August 28, 2013

What great words of hope and inspiration you’ve shared with your readers! Finding our voices, and finding a balance in using it is one of life’s greatest gifts! Such a freeing and healing experience!

September 14, 2013
    • Thank you for those kind words, Denise. I certainly feel liberated now that I’ve found my voice. My husband, on the other hand, probably not so much. ;-)

September 16, 2013
      • said:

Haha! That could be a downside, right?
        Well, the positive outweighs all that, so I say keep on using that voice! ;-)

September 17, 2013